Can I file a lawsuit if there is an error on my credit report?


Can I File a Lawsuit If There Is an Error on My Credit Report?

Lawyer in courthouse presenting 'FCRA Lawsuit' document to court clerk, with judicial symbols like scales of justice in the background, symbolizing the filing of a lawsuit for credit report errors under the FCRA.
You can file a lawsuit under the FCRA for credit report errors.

The short answer is yes. The accuracy of your credit report is crucial. Errors on your credit report can impact your financial health, affecting everything from loan approvals and interest rates to employment opportunities and rental agreements. If errors on your credit report go unresolved, you can take legal action against those responsible. This guide will delve into what constitutes a credit report error, your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the necessary steps to consider before filing a lawsuit.

Understanding Credit Report Errors

What Constitutes a Credit Report Error?

Credit report errors encompass a variety of inaccuracies ranging from simple administrative errors to complex identity theft issues. Common types of errors include:

  • Incorrect Personal Information: Mistakes in your name, address, social security number, or employment information can be due to clerical errors or misreported information from lenders.
  • Outdated Financial Data: This includes debts that have been paid off or derogatory marks that should have aged off your report following seven years, such as bankruptcies or collections.
  • Account-Related Errors: These involve incorrect account details such as wrong account statuses (e.g., open accounts reported as closed), duplicate accounts, and accounts that belong to another person with a similar or the same name (mixed files).
  • Fraudulent Accounts: Accounts that you did not open but were established in your name as a result of identity theft.

Your Legal Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is a federal law established to promote the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information held by credit bureaus. Under the FCRA, you are entitled to:

  • Free Credit Reports: You can request a free copy of your credit report annually from each of the three major credit reporting agencies—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion—via
  • Right to Dispute Errors: If you identify errors on your report, you have the right to dispute them with the credit reporting agency. The agency is obligated to investigate the dispute within 30 days and correct any inaccuracies.
  • Right to Sue: If a credit reporting agency or a data furnisher (a lender or institution that provides data to the credit bureau) fails to correct inaccurate information following a dispute, you can file a lawsuit against them.

Pre-Lawsuit Steps

Young adult at a home office desk reviewing a credit report with errors highlighted in red on their laptop screen, using tools like a notepad and smartphone to document disputes, set against a backdrop with finance books and a plant, conveying a calm and organized approach to resolving financial discrepancies.
It is important that you check your credit report and dispute any errors in writing to the credit bureaus.

1. Obtain Your Credit Reports

Secure a free copy of your credit report from each credit bureau at Review these reports thoroughly to identify any inaccuracies or outdated information.

2. Dispute Errors with Credit Bureaus

Initiate a formal dispute with the credit bureaus in writing with proof of it being mailed and delivered. The dispute should be detailed, clearly identifying each error, the reason you believe it is incorrect, and attaching all necessary documentation to support your claim. This can include bank statements, letters of clearance, identity theft reports, and more.

3. Document Everything

Keep records of all communications with the credit bureaus, including dates you sent letters, phone calls made, and emails sent. This documentation will be crucial if you decide to file a lawsuit.

4. Wait for the Bureau’s Investigation

The credit bureau will investigate your dispute within 30 days. They will then provide you with their findings and a corrected version of your credit report if the dispute results in a change.

For a guide on what to do if you identify errors on your credit report, click on this link for a helpful article.

When to Consider a Lawsuit

Situations Warranting Legal Action

You should consider filing a lawsuit if:

  • The Error Persists: The credit bureau fails to remove or correct the error despite adequate evidence and a formal dispute process.
  • Negligence is Evident: The credit bureau or the data furnisher negligently fails to handle your dispute properly, leading to continued harm such as loan rejections or higher interest rates.
  • Willful Non-Compliance: The bureau or furnisher knowingly violates the FCRA by refusing to correct the error or by engaging in deceptive practices.

Potential Damages

In a lawsuit, you may be entitled to recover:

  • Actual Damages: This covers any financial losses you suffered as a result of the error, such as denied loans, increased interest rates, or lost job opportunities.
  • Statutory Damages: If the violation of the FCRA is found to be willful, you may receive statutory damages.
  • Punitive Damages: In cases of egregious misconduct by the credit bureau or furnisher, punitive damages may be awarded to deter future violations.
  • Legal Fees and Costs: The FCRA allows for the recovery of reasonable legal fees and court costs, making it feasible for consumers to seek legal redress without incurring significant expenses.

Filing the Lawsuit

Filing a lawsuit involves preparing a legal complaint that details your allegations and the damages sought. The process will include:

  • Discovery: Both parties exchange evidence and conduct depositions to build their cases.
  • Motions: Preliminary motions may be filed, such as motions to dismiss the case if the defendant believes the claims are unfounded.
  • Trial: If the case is not settled out of court, it will go to trial, where both sides will present their evidence and arguments.
  • Judgment or Settlement: The trial concludes with a judgment, or the parties may reach a settlement at any point during the process.


Errors on your credit report can significantly disrupt your financial stability and personal life. If you have taken all appropriate steps to dispute an error and it remains uncorrected, legal action may be a viable option. Consulting with an attorney specializing in consumer law can provide you with guidance tailored to your specific situation.

If you need to take legal action regarding a credit report error, FOWKES & HASANBASIC is here to help. Our experienced attorneys specialize in FCRA cases and are committed to ensuring that your rights are protected. Contact Us Today: Call us at 727-500-1010 to schedule your free consultation. Take the first step towards fixing your credit report and securing your financial future. Our team is ready to provide the expertise and support you need.

Contact Us